From: Leonard Adams <leoadams@pixi.com>
Date: Sat, 24 Jun 1995 20:18:47 -1000
Subject: Re: "blood of prophets"

>Dear Expert in Gospels and/or Canonicity issues,
>
>What does "from the blood of Abel to the blood of Zechariah" (Lk 11.51)
>allude to? Does this passage in any way "establish" or "affirm" an accepted
>OT canon by Jesus and the early church? Just need some hard facts and fast.
>My library is very "bare" in the Gospel commentary section and this is a
>side-issue for me at the moment, for a remote conversation in another
>dimension... :-\
>
>Sincerely,
>
>Shaughn Daniel
>Tuebingen, Germany

I can offer to you this explanation. Jesus was speaking to interpreters and
teachers
of the Mosaic law that refused to accept the truth of His teachings, because it
threatened their well-established sense of superiority. Furthermore, their
actions
implied consent of the actions of those who had murdered prophets sent by
God in
times past. Lastly, Jesus knew that prophets would come after His death,
proclaiming the
good news of the Gospel and be rejected, persecuted and killed by these
same teachers
of the Law. Therefore, Jesus was saying that He would hold them
accountable for the
deaths of all the prophtes of times past, from the blood of Abel to the
blood of Zechariah.

I hope this information helped.

Sincerely,

Leonard Adams