From: MURRAY HOGG <muzhogg@ozemail.com.au>
Date: Thu, 3 Aug 95 17:10:50 +1000
Subject: Luke 23:56

I would like to obtain comment from members of the list as to the
intent of the Greek in Luke 23:56.  Specifically I am curious as to
whether there is any justification for the view that this verse
implicitly reverses the order of events found in Mark 16:1.

The first part of the verse refers to the women going home to
prepare spices and oils, while the second part of this verse refers
to a Sabbath rest.  They are joined with the conjuncion  kai  which
seems to have a bunch of possible meanings (way beyond my
limited Greek - and way beyound my available references).
I can think of three ways it might be meant;

1.  The author intended to say that the women went home,
     prepared spices and oils and THEN rested on the
     Sabbath (ie intended the ordering to having chronological
     significance)

OR

2.  The author was not concerned with the chronological
     sequence, but rather added the second part to reasure the
     reader that, yes, the women did go home to prepare the spices
     and oils, but, no, they didn't do this on the Sabbath so the Law
     was not broken.  The reader would be free to assume whether the
     preperation was before or after the Sabbath rest, as I don't think the
     author would see chronology as a significant point.

OR

3.  The women done both things at once - prepared the spices
     _and_  rested. Ostensibly, this sounds a little silly, but it has been
     suggested to me that burial preperations were permited on the
     Sabbath, so the meaning is a little like saying *I took the day
     off and worked on the car* ie one still _worked_ but it wasn't
     the right _type_ of work to qualify as impinging on ones' rest

Personally I favour 2. and quite a few translations seem to
support this, however I hope that some of the more learned
list members might be able to advise what subtletys underlie the
meanings of the original language and let me know if I am taking
any liberties

Thanks in advance
Murray (Muz) Hogg
muzhogg@ozemail.com.au