From: dtw86847@acuvax.acu.edu
Date: Sun, 06 Aug 1995 15:24:14 CST
Subject: Subscribe b-greek

subscribe b-greek

------------------------------

From: Penner <kpenner@mail.unixg.ubc.ca>
Date: Sun, 6 Aug 1995 18:03:14 -0800
Subject: Re: Phil 1:7

> >At 11:18 AM 8/5/95, WINBROW@aol.com wrote:

> >>1Ths. 1:8    ALLA EN PANTI TOPWI H PISTIS hUMWN H PROS TON QEON EXELHLUQEN,
> >>hWSTE (MH CHREIAN ECHEIN hHMAS) LALEIN TI

I should  clarify my original reason for supporting the NRSV
translation. When I suggested that the ME in EXEIN ME EN THi
KARDIAi hUMAS was the object, it was because ME directly follows
the verb, as XREIAN does in 1Th 1:8, not because it is the first
accusative. In this, I could very well be projecting English syntax
onto Greek. That's why I needed the input of those who have spent
more time with Greek than I have. I should realize I don't have the
experience to trust my "gut feeling"  as Carl seems to be able to
;) . I guess it'll only come with time.

On  5 Aug 95 at 15:49, Bruce Terry wrote:

> I have to agree, Carl.  This OVS word order is placing emphasis on the need
> (or lack thereof).  If one is wondering whether SVO or OVS is more usual in
> the GNT with infinitives, I would have to go with SVO.  My databases for James
> and 1 Corinthians show 1 example of SVO for James and 5 for 1 Corinthians and
> no examples of OVS for infinitives in either book.

If our Philippians 1:7 had the verb between two accusatives (either
SVO or OVS), it might be a simpler question as to which pronoun is
the subject. As it is, we have to choose between VSO or VOS, with
the complicating factor of a prepositional phrase between S and O.

> It is very unusual to have two accusative pronouns following the infinitive.

I wish I had the resources to find parallel examples. Can anyone
find out how unusual this type of construction is and provide
other examples that might be helpful?

> In looking for an analogous passage, these factors have to be
> kept in mind:

(My summary of Bruce's excellent points:)
1) Pronouns may affect word order differently than nouns.
2) Equative verbs and verbs of speech are special cases.
3) The pronoun (if only one) tends to be found next to the verb.
4) Questions, emphasis, negatives, and voice may all affect word order.
5) The verb initial order is preferred following a preposition.
6) Generally, the subject precedes the object.

> Therefore I would favor Phil. 1:7 ECEIN ME IN TH KARDIA hUMAS
> being translated "I have you in my heart."  The thing that
> bothers me about this is that a locational prepositional phrase
> is more likely to follow the object.  Could hUMAS be an
> afterthought "subject" tagged on?  It could, but on the whole I
> favor the VSO order in this case.

The prepositional phrase threw me, too. That's partly why I
thought of the subject as an afterthought. I'm still not convinced
one way or the other; I'm open to analogous passages.

Ken Penner
Regent College, Vancouver

kpenner@unixg.ubc.ca
http://www.netshop.bc.ca/~kpenner/