From: Stephen Carlson <scc@reston.icl.com>
Date: Mon, 7 Aug 95 16:46:17 EDT
Subject: Faith of God (fwd)

The following message was intended for the entire list (and forwarded
with permission):

Eric Weiss wrote:
> From eweiss@acf.dhhs.gov Mon Aug  7 12:43:24 1995
> Date: Mon, 7 Aug 95 12:32:26 -24000
> To: <scc@reston.icl.com>
> From: "Eric Weiss" <eweiss@acf.dhhs.gov>
> Subject: Faith of God
>
> "Faith in God" vs. 'Faith of God"
>
> It seems to me that to translate the phrase as "faith of God" (i.e., the
> faith that God has--subjective genitive, I believe) would by its nature be
> incorrect.  Taking Hebrews 11:1 as a kind of definition of faith would rule
> out God from having or needing to have faith, since there is nothing He only
> hopes for and nothing He does not see.  Hence one cannot speak of God's
> faith, but only of faith toward God.  (One can, though, speak of God's
> faithfulness.)

Yes, and as far as I'm aware, most of the arguments in favor of the
subjective genitive understand PISTIS to mean "faithfulness."

Stephen Carlson
- --
Stephen Carlson     :  Poetry speaks of aspirations,  : ICL, Inc.
scc@reston.icl.com  :  and songs chant the words.     : 11490 Commerce Park Dr.
(703) 648-3330      :                 Shujing 2:35    : Reston, VA  22091   USA