From: BibAnsMan@aol.com
Date: Mon, 9 Oct 1995 02:26:40 -0400
Subject: Re: 1Cor. 14:!4

Dr. Kenneth Johnson writes on 95-10-07,

<<<<I have been studying 1 Corinthians 14:14 and was wondering when Paul says
"I shall pray with the spirit and I shall pray with the mind also; I shall
sing with the spirit and I shall sing with the mind also."

Is there any rule in Greek that would help you determine if he is saying
"pray in the spirit and in English at the same time" (thus proving that the
term praying in the spirit does not always mean praying in tongues) or does
he have to be meaning "pray in the spirit at onetime and latter with his
mind," so he can be understood?>>>>>

     Nothing in the Greek would hint at this because that is not what the
Greek says.  The Scripture says here that we should pray and use
understandable words(vv. 6-11).  I believe Paul is chiding them here for
praying in tongues when they should be praying in their own known language so
others can use their minds.  They should seek to abound for edification in
the church service.
     If you look carefully at the context, the context emphasizes edifying
and edification as the key.  Paul is chiding them for not praying that
results in a distinct sound that can be understood with the mind.  Paul also
says there should not be any tongue-speaking unless there is an interpreter.
 And then one at a time.

     It is disappointing that we do not follow the biblical pattern Paul
presents here.  So many today allow all kinds of tongue speaking and do not
test all things (1 Thess. 5:21).  If we were to test the validity of the
tongues with a tape recorder, I believe we would see that the majority of the
so-called tongues would be found out false.  Take the tape recording and get
two different interpretations to agree and analyze it for true grammatical
form.

I. TONGUES AS THE NORMAL WORD FOR LANGUAGE

     The Greek does come against the idea of an "unknown" prayer language.
 The word for tongue in Greek is GLWSSN (glo_se_, plural glossalalia).  It is
the normative word for language.  It was a known language, not gibberish or
babble or an unknown prayer language.  In King James' day, "tongues" meant
what "languages" mean to us.
     In fact,  in Acts 2:6 where tongues are first introduced at Pentecost,
they heard them speaking "in their own language."  The Greek word for
language here is DIALEKTOS from which we get our word "dialect."  They heard
them speak in their own dialects.  The following verses list names of the
DIALEKTOS: "Parthians and Medes and Elamites, and residents of Mesopotamia,
Judea and Cappadocia, Pontus and Asia, Phrygia and Pamphylia, Egypt and the
districts of Libya around Cyrene, and visitors from Rome, both Jews and
proselytes, Cretans and Arabs-- we hear them in our own tongues speaking of
the mighty deeds of God" (vv. 9-11).

     Furthermore, this is the same gift throughout the rest of the New
Testament.  We don't have any indication that it changed.  The literal
language tongues of Acts 2 is the same throughout the rest of the Bible and
should be tested.  Peter had a hard time convincing the Jews about Cornelius
until he mentions in Acts 11:17, "If God therefore gave to them the same gift
as He gave to us also after believing in the Lord Jesus Christ, who was I
that I could stand in God's way?"  The tongues given here was the "same gift"
as it was in Acts 2.  Tongues are always used to refer to known languages.

II. UNKNOWN PRAYER LANGUAGE PASSAGES

     There are only three passages that I have seen others use to show that
there is biblical support for an "unknown prayer language": Romans 8:26, 1
Corinthians 13:1-2, and 1 Corinthians 14:14.  But each of these are
inconclusive and actually include evidences against such a view.

       Romans 8:26 says, "And in the same way the Spirit also helps our
weakness; for we do not know how to pray as we should, but the Spirit Himself
intercedes for [us] with groanings too deep for words."  Some say, "See
there, these groanings are referring to unknown language!  They are groanings
too deep for words."  But the Greek says a very interesting thing here.  It
literally says, STENOGMOIS ALALNTOIS, "unutterable groanings."  These are
groanings which cannot be uttered, not groanings which can be uttered.
 Furthermore, it is the Spirit who prays interceding for us, not we who pray
these unutterable groanings.  So this is hardly a passage to support unknown
prayer languages.

     1 Corinthians 13:1-2 is just as elusive to those who would try to find
unknown prayer languages in the Bible.  Verse 1 says, "If I speak with the
tongues of men and of angels, but do not have love, I have become a noisy
gong or a clanging cymbal."  Again some say, "Look at that!  I can pray in an
angelic tongue."  But they do not understand that in 1 Corinthians 13:1-2,
Paul uses considerable hyperbole.  He exaggerates to the extreme limits of
our imagination.  He says, if someone were able to do all these things and
still didn't have love, he would be nothing.  It doesn't say that these
things are possible.  In fact, in many cases they are impossible.
     Take for example the next verse (v. 2).  Is it possible to "know all
mysteries?"  No.  Is it possible to know all "knowledge"?  No.  Is it
possible to have "all faith so as to remove mountains"?  If so, Paul wouldn't
have gotten sick trying to cross the mountains into Galatia.

     1 Corinthians 14:14 is sometimes alluded to in order to support praying
in an unknown tongue.  1 Corinthians 14:14 says, "For if I pray in a tongue,
my spirit prays, but my mind is unfruitful."  Some who peruse the context
come to the conclusion that this verse supports praying "in the spirit" which
is interpreted as praying in an unknown tongue.  Only, they say, this kind
should be done at home or in private since "interpretation" is required in
the Church (v. 28).
     But it is interesting to note that the context does not allow for such
an interpretation at all.  In fact, quite the opposite is true.  Paul was
reproving them for this kind of praying that was supposedly in the spirit and
where the mind was unfruitful.  Paul's main emphasis here is against such
mindless praying.  He advocates a different type of praying in the spirit
where the mind is used (v. 15).  He would not have advocated praying at home
in a mindless way.  Only if tongues were interpreted could edification of the
mind result.
     Yet, this kind of tongue praying is used by many to "edify" themselves
at home.  They quote 1 Corinthians 14:4 which says, "One who speaks in a
tongue edifies himself; but one who prophesies edifies the church."  But in
this verse, Paul is not commending this self-edification, rather he opposes
it.  This opposition to this misuse of tongues is the main point of this
chapter.
     The purpose for tongues was not for some private edification, but for a
sign before unbelievers not believers.  "So then tongues are for a sign, not
to those who believe, but to unbelievers; but prophecy is for a sign, not to
unbelievers, but to those who believe." (v. 22).   Paul exhorted them not to
pray selfishly edifying themselves, but instead they ought to prophesy and
edify the church which is better unless tongues are interpreted so "the
church may receive edifying" (v. 4).
     Paul is chiding them here for praying in tongues when they should be
speaking the Word of God in their own known language so others could use
their minds to understand what they are praying.  In this way, they should
seek to abound for edification in the church service.  The result is found in
verses 24-25, "But if all prophesy . . . the secrets of [an unbeliever's]
heart are disclosed; and so he will fall on his face and worship God,
declaring that God is certainly among you."
     If you look carefully at the context, the context emphasizes edifying
and edification as the key. The word group for edify is found seven times in
six verses withing this chapter (vv. 3,4,5,12,17,26).  Paul makes a
concluding remark in verse 26, "Let all things be done for edification."
 Edification happens when the Word of God is heard and clearly understood
with the mind.

     Paul chides them for not speaking in such a way that results in a
distinct sound that can be understood with the mind so others might receive
edifying.  Furthermore, Paul says there should not be any tongue-speaking
unless there is an interpreter.  And then only one at a time.  Not the
massive tongue speaking you often see today.

     So in conclusion, the Bible really gives no support for any "unknown
prayer language."  In fact, every evidence points to the fact that these
tongues were a known language that could and should be interpreted (cf. 1
Cor. 14:28).

If you have any questions on any part of this, feel free to E-Mail me

Jim McGuire
Professor of Greek at
Logos Bible Institute
13248 Roscoe Blvd.