From: "Carl W. Conrad" <cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu>
Date: Sun, 26 Nov 1995 07:00:09 -0600
Subject: Re: 1 Tim. 2:15--"get safely through"

At 10:46 PM 11/25/95, Patrick J. Brennan wrote:
>I assume you sent this to me instead of to the list?  Do you want me to
>forward it to the list? Let me know. Thanks for all your input on this
>digest, I am learning a lot from you and others. One question for you on
>your comment to my posting ---- you mentioned that it would be ackward for
>salvation to depend on the moral stature of her children. It would be
>ackward for salvation to depend on anything apart from believing and
>walking with Jesus. Could SWQHSETAI be reffering to preservation and not
>salvation?

(1) In fact, I DID cc the message to the list and got a confirming copy
back, so there's no need to forward it (if there would have been anyway!);
(2) Yes, indeed, SWQHSETAI can be referring to
preservation/safekeeping--and not to salvation. That's precisely the point
of the original post by Bruce Terry to which I responded (almost two full
weeks ago!) that I was very impressed with Moffat's way of reading the
verse, the more so because the verb SWZEIN in classical Attic and still in
Koine does have the common regular meaning of "preserve, keep safe, bring
safely through." It would appear that you got focused on the other problems
in this very tricky verse and missed the original points raised in the
thread. But your question certainly was worth asking, because the sentence
is itself awkward and the whole passage in which it is set is awkward. I
think that when we read the NT with theological glasses on we are likely to
assume that SWZEIN must have the sense of eschatological salvation from
condemnation at the last judgment, despite the fact that this is not its
NORMAL or COMMON sense in Greek of any period. In fact, if I understand the
earliest OT usages of YEHOSHUAH, "salvation," they refer to the concrete
historical deliverance of Israel from a very concrete bondage in Egypt and
to the historical deliverance of Israel from threatening marauders in the
period of the tribal confederation. And indeed, if I may make one brief
theological comment here, one of the things I'm very thankful for at this
season is God's very concrete safekeeping of my own loved ones and of all
at peril, remembering that even this safekeeping is a matter of grace
rather than something earned.

(314) 935-4018