From: Stephen Carlson <scc@reston.icl.com>
Date: Wed, 10 Jan 1996 11:35:51 -0500 (EST)
Subject: Humor: St. Paul's Chain Letter

>Newsgroups: rec.humor.funny
>From: Johlt@aol.com
>Subject: The Chain Letter of St. Paul
>
>Received this as a mailing from the Old Catholic mailing list:
>
>THE CHAIN LETTER OF PAUL THE APOSTLE TO THE CORINTHIANS
>
>   The Chain Letter of Paul the Apostle to the Corinthians WITH CHARITY
>   ALL THINGS ARE POSSIBLE This epistle comes to you from Philippi. Grace
>   be to you and peace. Spiritual gifts will be delivered unto you within
>   four days of receiving this letter--providing you in turn send it on.
>
>   2. This is no joke. Send copies to whomsoever among the gentiles or
>   superstituous peoples of other denominations you would comfort in all
>   their tribulation. Do not send material things. Charity vaunteth not
>   itself, is not puffed up.
>
>   3. While visiting the Household of Stephanas, a Macedonian proconsul
>   received the epistle and was greeted by his brethren by a holy kiss.
>   But he broke the chain, and now he is become as sounding brass or a
>   tinkling cymbal.
>
>   4. Gaius bestowed all his goods to feed the poor, and gave his body to
>   be burned, but it profited him nothing. He failed to circulate the
>   letter. However, before his death, he received the unleavened bread of
>   sincerity and truth.
>
>   5. Do note the following: Crispius had the gift of prophecy, and
>   understood all mysteries, and all knowledge, and had all faith, so
>   that he could remove mountains. But he forgot that the epistle had to
>   leave his hands within 96 hours, and now he is nothing.
>
>   6. In A.D. 37, the epistle was received by a young Galatian woman who
>   put it aside to copy and send out later. She was plagued by various
>   problems: thrice she was beaten with rods, once she was stoned, and
>   thrice suffered shipwreck. On the last day of these occasions, she
>   spent a night and day in the deep. Finally, she copied the letter. A
>   trumpet sounded, and she was raised incorruptible.
>
>   7. Remember: Believeth all things, hopeth all things. The chain never
>   faileth.
>
>   St. Paul
>
>--
>Selected by Jim Griffith.  MAIL your joke to funny@clari.net.
>Attribute the joke's source if at all possible.  A Daemon will auto-reply.
>
>Send comments meant for the moderator to funny-request@clari.net.  Jokes sent
>to this address will be ignored.
- --
Stephen Carlson     :  Poetry speaks of aspirations,  : ICL, Inc.
scc@reston.icl.com  :  and songs chant the words.     : 11490 Commerce Park Dr.
(703) 648-3330      :                 Shujing 2:35    : Reston, VA  22091   USA

------------------------------

From: David Housholder <73423.2015@compuserve.com>
Date: 10 Jan 96 13:38:47 EST
Subject: Re: L. William Countryman's beginning Greek text

>>The book is THE NEW TESTAMENT IS IN GREEK (Eerdmans 1993).
. . . .
>>It looks like a good approach, but I have not taught it and so can't be
>>sure.  Anyone out there who has tried it, so we may benefit from your
>>experience?

Tom,

I have not used the book directly, but included it in the materials used in New
Testament Greek at Union Biblical Seminary, India. The students there were doing
a one-semester course (based on an abridged Wehnam) and were then going
immediately into the exegesis of the Synoptic Gospels. Because I taught the
exegesis in the final 10 weeks of the second semester, leaving the first 6 to 7
weeks open, we introduced an "Introduction to Exegesis" during those weeks. We
used Countryman and another resource (the name eludes me: It's an 8.5 X 11"
workbook taking the student through 1 John and introducing the use of various
library resources in the process. Anyone recognize that? I think its out of
print).

Countryman is an excellent followup to a basic course. It reviews the
introductory materials and presents them in context of an actual study of text.

It is intended as an introductory course. I think it could be used effectively
in that way. Keep in mind that it proceeds on an inductive basis. And it will
work effectively only if the instructor allows it to be approached on that
basis. The temptation to an instructor is to say, "Your book has introduced the
use of the third person plural of this verb; here are all the other possible
forms."

- --Dave--
1:35 PM EDT on Wednesday, January 10, 1996