From: "Carl W. Conrad" <cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu>
Date: Thu, 7 Mar 1996 05:15:59 -0600
Subject: Re: dynamic words

On 3/6/96, Gary S. Shogren wrote:

> If I understand your criteria rightly, KATALAMBANW is a prime example - does
> it mean "comprehendeth it not (KJV)" in John 1:5 or "did not overcome it"?
> What I find interesting is that both make very good sense in the immediate
> context, and fairly decent sense in the context of Johannine theological
> vocab.  I seem to recall that Carson lists the verse in Exegetical
> Fallacies, reminding us not to try to work BOTH meanings into a single
> context unless there's evidence of a play on words.  By the way - Exegetical
> Fallacies is shortly to be re-released in an updated form.

I was going to mention KATALAMBANW also, but I believe that in the KJV
"comprehendeth" doesn't mean "understands" but "overcomes"--Elizabethan
sense of the word.Nevertheless, "understands" is possible because
KATALAMBANW is the Stoic word for "grasp, understand."

I believe that "comprehend" in our sense is a relatively recent usage of
the verb.

Incidentally,Carlton, isn't the noun from hAIREW that you're referring to
hAIRESIS with an Epsilon rather than hAIRHSIS with an Eta?

(314) 935-4018