Re: Jn. 10:10, PERISSON EXWSIN

From: David Moore (dvdmoore@dcfreenet.seflin.lib.fl.us)
Date: Tue Aug 22 1995 - 11:24:03 EDT

"Carl W. Conrad" <cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu> wrote:

>I don't really think the meaning of [Jn. 10:10] differs significantly from
>one way of reading it to the other, and it may well be that you are right,
>David, in this interpretation, but I'm not sure that the classical examples
>cited are sufficient to prove PERISSON/PERITTON was actually used
>substantivally rather than adverbially.

        Thanks, Carl, for the analysis of the classical references. In
the citation from the LXX, however (Prov. 14:23), PERISSON translates the
Hebrew word _mothar_ which means "abundance," "plenty," according to BDBG
lexicon, although Halliday has it "profit," "benefit."

        The change in meaning, as you point out, is slight whether one
interprets it as a substantive or an adverb, but I think the immediate
context favors the substantive meaning. Also, I'm wondering why you say
that PERISSON is neuter in Jn. 10:10. Couldn't it as easily be masculine.

David L. Moore Southeastern Spanish District
Miami, Florida of the Assemblies of God
dvdmoore@dcfreenet.seflin.lib.fl.us Department of Education