Re: Brackets in Greek Text

From: Dale M. Wheeler (dalemw@teleport.com)
Date: Wed Aug 23 1995 - 14:10:42 EDT

Edgar Krentz wrote:

>It may be that I can clear up the brackets issue.
>
>I think that the 27th ed of the Aland NTG is more clear on the brackets
>than appears from this string. p. 7* has the explanation: "Eckige Klammern
>im Text ([ ]) zeigen an, dass die eingeklammerte Abschnitt textkritisch
>nach dem heutigen Erkenntnissstand nicht gesichert werden kann." The
>English translation on p.49* says "Square brackets in the text ([
>])indicate that textual critics today are not completely convinced of the
>authenticity of the enclosed words."
>
>In short, brackets indicate that the editors could not decide between the
>aorist and the present in John 20:31 on the basis of the textual witnesses
>available to them.

That's the way I understand them as well, with the following proviso, that
while they could not decide which was correct, the committee decided that
the reading in the text was to be preferred. One would suspect that the
preference would be slight; but that then raises the interesting question of
why they then assigned it a rating of "C" in UBS (see previous quote) ????
I would have thought a "D" or possibly "E" would have been more appropriate ????
Dale M. Wheeler, Th.D.
Chair, Biblical Languages Dept. Multnomah Bible College
8435 NE Glisan Street Portland, OR 97220
Voice:503-251-6416 FAX:503-254-1268 E-Mail:dalemw@teleport.com