Re: BG: Egyptian vs. Alexandrian text types

From: Bruce Terry (terry@bible.acu.edu)
Date: Thu Aug 24 1995 - 14:34:24 EDT

On Mon, 21 Aug 95, Vincent Broman wrote:

>terry@bible.acu.edu asked:
>> Surely this is not a revival of W&H's Neutral vs. Alexandrian distinction?
>
>Aland: Alexandrian Egyptian
>Metzger: early or proto-Alexandrian Alexandrian
>Hort: Neutral Alexandrian
>
>Plus or minus a few shades of connotation, these are all the same distinction.
>
>Hort seemed to portray the difference between them as being fairly
>large, with the Neutral almost midway between Alexandrian and "Western",
>but this was partly due to his Neutral text not being a tangible set
>of witnesses, (sci. Origen+01+B), but rather a hypothetical text lying behind
>these tangible witnesses.
>In any case the distinction just reflects the textual fact that
>Origen+01+B (+-D) fairly often agree against C+L+33 et al.

Thanks for the answer, Vincent, although it was not especially what I wanted
to hear. It seems to me that the above chart makes use of the term
Alexandrian ambiguous. Further, it would seem that the distinction between
Alexandrian and Egyptian is really a distinction between sub-families rather
than between text types.

Bruce Terry E-MAIL: terry@bible.acu.edu
Box 8426, ACU Station Phone: 915/674-3759
Abilene, Texas 79699 Fax: 915/674-3769