Ant 18.22 question

From: Greg Doudna (gdoudna@ednet1.osl.or.gov)
Date: Fri Aug 25 1995 - 00:56:24 EDT

Could someone assist with the following sentence from Josephus,
Ant. 18.22?

"zwsi de ouden parHllagmenws all' hoti malista em[ph]erontes
        dakwn tois pleistois"

(The line closes Josephus's famous description of the Essenes.
Feldman's Loeb ed. rendering is: "Their manner of life does
not differ at all from that of the so-called Ctistae among
the Dacians, but is as close to it as could be" [with an
emendation of *pleistois* to *ktistais*].)

I can see that parHllagmenws is an adverb modifying *zwsi*, "they
live", from parallassw, "make things alternate, transpire"; the
Middle Liddel gives a stem of parHllag- for both perfect
and second aorist. From this stem it looks like an adverb has
been formed from a middle participle (?). The sense then
becomes something like "They live alternating in nothing but..."?

empherontes seems to be a m pl middle ptcpl "being borne about".
But I am having difficulty understanding the synactic connection
with the folowing m pl genitive "dakwn".

I would be very grateful if someone could explain the syntax of
this sentence. (The reason for interest is the old suggestion
of Dupont-Sommer to emend *dakwn* to *[za]douk[ai]wn*
"Sadducees of the 'Many'".) Thanks very much!

Greg Doudna
gdoudna@ednet1.osl.or.gov