GENETIC Choices/Christian Morals

From: PaulENY@aol.com
Date: Sat Aug 26 1995 - 18:26:07 EDT

I just finished reading an article in The Living Pulpit entitled
"New Genetic Choices" by Sidney Callahan.

The author raises some serious questions about genetic
information obtained by scientific procedures, the possibility
of designing "acceptable" children through genetic engineering,
and explores how Christian morality might answer these
questions.

For example, one of the big societal debates is whether or not
it is moral for parents to selectively destroy embryos with
genetic defects that will lead to conditions such as
retardation, dementia, or being handicapped, until an embryo
with an "acceptable" genetic structure is achieved.

The author takes the position that using scientific knowledge
to destroy human life crosses the line into a moral abuse of
technology. He states, "I think the best moral guidelines ensure
that the protection of the most vulnerable lives takes precedence
over the goals and interests of the more powerful."

I agree with the author because if this is acceptable, at what
point will it stop? Will embryos possessing genetic traits for
being a certain height, certain hair or eye color be at some
time deemed unacceptable? By the way, you can get an
electronic copy of this article or a brochure about The Living
Pulpit by sending e-mail to "Livpulpit@AOL.com"

Does anyone have any impressions about genetic engineering
and how Christianity might answer these important questions?
It's a topic that needs to be addressed as science keeps
advancing in this area and the possibility of genetic
engineering becomes more and more real. Any thoughts on it?

Paul