Posting which are not appropriate for the list

From: David John Marotta (djm5g@virginia.edu)
Date: Wed Aug 30 1995 - 10:41:02 EDT

If anyone believes that a posting is not appropriate to this list
please follow these steps:

1. Send a gentle note to the offender reminding them of the charter of the
   list. Each of the three lists (BIBLE, B-GREEK, and B-HEBREW) are
   different.

2. If the problem persists, forward an example copy of the offending
   note to me. I don't have the time to police the content of the
   list. My hands are full handling bounced messages ect. and handling
   the newcomers on the Internet via 1. above is part of you paying
   your dues. For each one of you who learned from someone, you have
to help 10 newcomers. (It used to be that sites connecting to the
   Internet had to agree to connect up a certain number of additional
   sites. This is the original spirit of the Internet.)

3. For postings which are not civil, i.e. they make personal attacks
   on peoples character, forward the note to me directly. I have,
   and will continue to, ask certain people to not post to these lists,
   and notify their access providers if they do. There are a growing
   number of people with net access who aim to shock and annoy.
   The worst of them are neo-nazis based on some strange doctrines
   which they support (supposedly) from the Bible. I believe
   that custom allows me to ask them not to join or post to these lists.
   So far that has been sufficient.

   I have a report I run periodically which lets me know if they have
   resubscribed.

For those of you who subscribe to a list for the friends and contacts
you make, and just like to talk about everything with a group of "friends"
on the list, remember that the lists contain 200-500 people, most of whom
subscribed just to listen to information regarding the topic of that list.

BIBLE is clearly the "worst" list in terms of offenders posting
irrelevant material. It also has the lowest number of people on it.
I am convineced that if we eliminated 15 more people then the number
of people subscribed would begin to climb again. I need a few sensitive
but firm "police" for that list. Please help me out in the following
ways:

1. Personal restraint in public messages.
2. Gentle reminders privately for first time irrelevant postings.
3. Forwarding messages to me of those who violate civility.

Each of these is designed to keep the lists themselves free of the
content about the content which is irrelevant to the content.
This message itself violates that spirit, but I am the only one
with the liscence to post such meta-content messages.

Thanks for your help!

David John Marotta, Medical Center Computing, Stacey Hall
Univ of Virginia (804) 982-3718 wrk INTERNET: djm5g@virginia.edu
Box 512 Med Cntr (804) 924-5261 msg PRODIGY: KCMR45A
C'ville VA 22908 (804) 296-7209 fax IBM US: usuvarg8