Re: BG: Synoptic Apocalypse

From: Philip L. Graber (pgraber@emory.edu)
Date: Mon Aug 28 1995 - 11:03:36 EDT

On Mon, 28 Aug 1995, Carl W. Conrad wrote:

> I was going just to let this pass but I couldn't. While I agree that the
> Synoptic gospels all have Jesus-sayings indicating that the "Coming" of the
> Son of Man will take place within the lifetimes of those hearing Jesus, I
> think it is a gross overstatement to say that this is the teaching of "the
> whole NT," and I think there is considerable evidence indicating that in
> Matthew and Luke the "Coming" is conceived as distanced from the
> destruction of the temple and Jerusalem by an indefinite period of time,

The evidence would seem to indicate (and the conclusion is widely held)
that Matthew and Luke are both written after the destruction of
Jerusalem. It would seem particularly awkward for the gospel writers to
have taught that the coming of the Son of Man was to coincide with the
destruction of Jerusalem if that is the case, especially since they still
seem to be looking forward to it in some sense.

Philip Graber Graduate Division of Religion
Graduate Student in New Testament 211 Bishops Hall, Emory University
pgraber@emory.edu Atlanta, GA 30322 USA