Re: BG: Synoptic Apocalypse

From: Jan.Haugland@uib.no
Date: Tue Aug 29 1995 - 07:19:49 EDT

Hello David

> What does it mean that "And Jerusalem will be trampled by Gentiles
> *until* the times of the Gentiles are fulfilled." Lk 21:24b Does this not
> suggest a period of time between the destruction of Jerusalem and some
> other great event to follow?

No. There is no indication of anything *following* some end of the gentile
times. Few statements in the gospels has been subject to more speculative
interpretation (including more than a few date-theories among Adventists and
Jehovah's Witnesses) than this simple reference to gentile times succeeding the
Jewish dispensation. The gentile times would necessarily start when Jerusalem
was destroyed in 70AD. There is no mention anywhere of its end, so it doesn't
mean anything related to the "parousia."

> Also what do you make of the saying that went about among the brethren
> that John would not die? (Jn 21:23) This "saying" suggests that "If I will
> that he remain till I(Jesus) come" then he will live a very long long time
> i.e. until Christ returns. There may not have been such a strong aggreement
> about how soon the Lord's return would be.

Are you suggesting that the disciples thought John would live for centuries?
This is not a very likely explanation. Also note that John does *not* deny that
he will live until the coming, he simply says Jesus had not guaranteed it.

> Finally....do you deny the physical resurrection of the dead?

What physical resurrection? I certainly do believe in the physical resurrection
of Christ (whatever that means!), or this would be a waste of time. The
Christians excpected a rapture of both dead and alive. I believe that this all
happened when Jesus came.

Cheers,

- Jan

--
   Real Time, adj.:

        Here and now, as opposed to fake time, which only occurs there
        and then.