re: Re: Translating XRISTOS

From: Carl W. Conrad (cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu)
Date: Mon Sep 11 1995 - 12:05:16 EDT

At 10:32 AM 9/11/95, Eric Weiss wrote:
>Forwarded to: Internet[b-greek@virginia.edu]
> cc:
>Comments by: Eric Weiss@OSP@ACF.DAL

There's surely no single right answer here, but I might just note that in
Classics what Eric notes in his last paragraph is definitely taking place:
the new orthodoxy transliterates the Greek to yield as nearly as possible a
transliteration of the sound of the Greek: AISXULOS is "Aiskhulos,"
OIDIPOUS is "Oidipous," SWKRATHS is "Sokrates." I've no objection to this
on principle, but it seems to me that the Latinized forms of quite a few
ancient names have stabilized themselves in English as standard. On the
other hand, the upcoming generation doesn't encounter those in school
anymore, anyhow ... But that, of course, is not quite altogether true.

As to Eric's first question, however, I'm all for translating any of these
terms in a way that will raise the consciousness of a cultural distinction
that the reader should be conscious of in reading the NT text.

(314) 935-4018