RE > 1 John Commentaries an

From: Karen Pitts (karen_pitts@maca.sarnoff.com)
Date: Tue Sep 12 1995 - 23:37:20 EDT

RE > 1 John Commentaries and intermed. grammer 9/13/95 11:17 AM

Hi. I'm a newcomer to this reflector and I've been mostly watching the mail
go by.

I've found Barclay's series on the New Testament to be helpful for Bible
Studies. They are scholarly enough to provide some additional background and
information, but not so detailed that you can't prepare for the next meeting.
It all depends on how fast you go. We usually do a chapter a week and have
used Barclay for Gospel of John, Revelation, and Acts.

Fee and Stewart, in "How to Read the Bible for all its Worth", have suggested
commentaries and a method for selecting commentaries which I've also used and
I've been pleased with the commentaries they recommend.

For my own personal study, I'm looking for a good grammer that's inbetween
introductory Greek (for which I already have three, Efrid, Voeltz, and "It's
Greek to Me") and Smythe. I got my Greek from weekly sessions with
seminarians at Princeton Theological Seminary and from weekly readings with my
pastor, but feel the need for something which fills in the gaps. I'm also
teaching introductory Greek, so I need something to answer my students'
questions. I can dig answers out of Smythe, but it usually takes me several
hours and I end up scanning through a bunch of stuff I don't need.

Glad to have found this resource.

Karen Pitts
kpitts@sarnoff.com
Hopewell Pres. Church (teacher of NT Greek), Hopewell, NJ, USA
David Sarnoff Research Center (statistician), Princeton, NJ, USA