Re- Teaching accents

From: Karen Pitts (karen_pitts@maca.sarnoff.com)
Date: Tue Sep 19 1995 - 10:26:02 EDT

On Tue, 19 Sep 1995, DR. KEN PULLIAM wrote:

> I have a question for those who teach Koine Greek. How valuable
> is it for the first year student to be taught the rules for
> accenting?

I've shephered two classes of adults through Koine Greek through our church
where what the seminary covers in a semester takes us 2 to 3 years. Believe
me, I try to keep it as simple as possible. I think accents are essential.
There are several words that differ only in accent. EI (if) without an
accent, and EI (you are) with a circumflex are examples of early vocab which
require knowing the accents. I don't think the accents are any more confusing
than conjugation for native English speakers, the concepts of tenses that
convey type of action rather than time, or the middle voice. At least accents
have fairly straightforward rules.

Karen Pitts
Hopewell Presbyterian Church, Hopewell, NJ, teacher of Koine Greek
David Sarnoff Research Center, Princeton, NJ, statistician

kpitts@sarnoff.com