Re: Q: Pronunciation

From: Kenneth Litwak (kenneth@sybase.com)
Date: Wed Sep 20 1995 - 17:31:49 EDT

> I have a pretty basic question. I'm still trying to teach myself New Testament
> Greek and was wondering if there is a "standard" for pronunciation. I have
> seen pronunciation listed in a couple of different books, but, obviously, since
> I am asking this question, they were not the same. Can anyone provide me with
> a URL or anonymous ftp site where a "standard" pronunciation is defined/listed?
>
> Thanks!
>
> Dennis Burke

Dennis,

   I wouldn't sweat which system of pronunciation you choose. It
probably doesn't correspond with how Greek was pronounced in NT times,
if there was a standard unaffected by geography. In any case, the
pronunciation system we use, which I got from Machen's grammar, comes
ultimately from Erasmus, and he may in fact have been playing a
practical joke on the academic world by presenting a system he knew
not to be correct. Certainly also our pronunciation does not match
modern Greek either, in which, I'm told, one would say "vlepo", not
"blepo".

Ken Litwak
GTU
Bezerkley, CA