Re: Classical Greek, etc. (long)

From: David Moore (dvdmoore@dcfreenet.seflin.lib.fl.us)
Date: Fri Sep 29 1995 - 16:47:07 EDT

"Carl W. Conrad" <cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu> wrote:

>Be careful! In the course of some thirty +
>years of teaching Concordia Seminary students who just wanted to continue
>with classical Greek while taking their B.D., I've seen a few get so hooked
>on it that they've not pursued a ministerial career after all. One of those
>was the late John Hollar of Fortress Press, who did a Ph.D. dissertation
>with me; another who got a Ph.D. in Greek at Washington U. not long before
>I got there is Edgar Krentz, who can speak for himself to this list. I can
>say all this because I myself was an undergraduate at Tulane once with
>every intention of going into the ministry, but before I got that far I was
>hooked on Classical Greek.

        There are also some classical scholars who have become competent
and have served quite well in the area of New Testament studies. A couple
of them that came to mind as I read Carl's post are J. B. Lightfoot and F.
F. Bruce. Others on the list could probably suggest some additional
names.

Regards,

David L. Moore Southeastern Spanish District
Miami, Florida of the Assemblies of God
dvdmoore@dcfreenet.seflin.lib.fl.us Department of Education