Re: More questions on Mark/EGW EIMI

From: Timster132@aol.com
Date: Mon Oct 02 1995 - 11:47:00 EDT

In a message dated 95-09-30, Bruce Terry writes:

>I have no quarrel with the idea that John 8:24 and 58 are references to the
>divinity of Jesus; certainly 8:58 is at the very least a claim for his
>pre-existence (cf. 1:1). I do have qualms about Jesus' saying "it's me" as
>he
>walks on the water being a claim for divinity. The same words in different
>contexts do not always mean the same things.

***
>Bruce Terry

  Besides the LXX, another extra-biblical EGW EIMI reference is a hymn to
Isis that is referred to by Diodorus (1 cent. BCE). Here's an excerpt.
 (EISIS = Isis).

  EISIS EGW EIMI H TUPANNOS PASHS XWRAS...
  EGW EIMI KRONOU QUGATHR PRESBUTATH.
  EGW EIMI GUNH KAI ADELFH OSEIREOS BASILEOS
  EGW EIMI QEOU KUNOS ASTRW EPITELOUSA.
  EGW EIMI H PARA GUNAIKSI QEOS KALOUMENH...

   The phrase EGW EIMI evidently has a divine quality to it here as well.
 Since the Isis religion was widespread, perhaps the divine connotation of
EGW EIMI was also present for Mark's readers, beyond or in addition to the Ex
3 and Isaiah passages.

   Peace,
   Tim Staker
   Pastor, Christian Church