Off topic: Secondary lit. on Mark in English and Deutsch

From: Kenneth Litwak (kenneth@sybase.com)
Date: Tue Oct 03 1995 - 20:45:51 EDT

    Sorry to bother you all for this, but since I'm aware that there are
scholars on this list who may be able to help me, I have a question
which should doubtless be answered privately (kenneth@sybase.com).
I'm working on my first doctoral exegesis paper. It's on the incident
with the Syro-Phoenecian woman in Mark. I'm looking for two things:
1. Suggestions for good English sources on this particular topic
(which is not to say that I'm not doing research; I just want to avoid
missing a significant book or article); and
2. while I have some general feel for scholarly literature, like
commentaries in English, I know almos tnothing about what commentary
series there are, or whom to read in German in what journals.
If anyone could spare a few words of orientation on this topic, I'd
appreciate it, since I'm now expected to work in German.
If it helps for focusing, I'm going to be looking at the cultural
issues involved and in the apparent "backing down" Jesus does in this
situation, a fairly unique situation. I'm not looking for redaction-
critical stuff (since the only Q I believe in is in the 25th cent.).
Thanks much in advance.

Ken Litwak
GTU
Bezerkley, CA