Scribes and Dictionaries

From: Bart Ehrman (behrman@email.unc.edu)
Date: Tue Oct 10 1995 - 09:40:19 EDT

   I sometimes claim (in lectures etc.) that scribes in late antiquity
through the Middle Ages didn't have dictionaries against which to check
their spelling. I've suddenly realized -- to no one's surprise, really
-- that I don't know what I'm talking about. Does anyone know whether
Greek lexica existed or were available for Christian scribes from the
second century on up to the time of the invention of printing?

-- Bart D. Ehrman, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill