Re: Beginning Grammars

From: BibAnsMan@aol.com
Date: Sun Oct 08 1995 - 21:08:10 EDT

I currently teach Greek and I prefer Machen for first year and Dana and
Mantey with supplementary materials for the intermediate grammar. Some
liberal scholarship will not accept Dana and Mantey because they stick with
Scripture instead of allowing extra-biblical Greek to twist the meaning of
Scripture. Other Greek examples have their place, but after the Greek of the
New Testament has had its say. The Greek of Scripture is Koine Greek, but is
also put in the language of the Christians of that day and they often times
use words differently than the average Greek as we Christians today use words
differently than the secular world.

Jim McGuire
Professor of Greek at
Logos Bible Institute