Summary Re: Books on the Synoptic Problem

From: Stephen Carlson (scc@reston.icl.com)
Date: Wed Oct 11 1995 - 13:00:53 EDT

This posting is a summary of the references I received.

WINBROW@aol.com wrote:
> Stephen Carlson wrote:
> >Two modern works are very good, but they are explicitly
> >"neutral" on the question: Bellinzoni's anthology, THE
> >TWO-SOURCE HYPOTHESIS: A Critical Appraisal, which is
> >out of print, and David Neville's ARGUMENTS FROM ORDER
> >IN SYNOPTIC SOURCE CRITICISM.
>
> >So what I'm asking is: if there are books out there defending
> >the 2SH, what are they?
>
> I still think that one of the best short statements about Mark as the first
> gospel written and the dependence of Matt. & Luke is by G.M. Styler in the
> fourth excursus in C.F.D. Moule, The Birth of the NT.

I think Styler's piece is included in the Bellinzoni anthology.

> The best textbook for
> a study of the Synoptic relationships is Aland, Synopsis Quattour
> Evangeliorum. The old Huck-Lietzmann, Synopse Der Drei Ersten Evangelien
> served me very well. One needs to translate these gospels paragraph by
> paragraph side by side before one forms a fixed opinion on the question.

I'm actually working on my own four-color three-column Greek synopsis using
WordPerfect 5.1 and the "Symbol" font (thus no diacriticals). It is a
valuable exercise. I'd like to make it freely available on the 'net/web
when I'm done, assuming releases for the Greek text. HTML (i.e, World
Wide Web) is not yet ready for this job, so I'm limited to WordPerfect for
technical reasons.

> Allen Barr, A Diagram of Synoptic Relationships is a handy tool to have at
> hand when evaluating secondary works on the subject.

Here is a summary of the responses by private email:

Jesus Seminar, RED LETTER MARK.
Kloppenborg, ed., THE SHAPE OF Q.
Koester, ANCIENT CHRISTIAN GOSPELS.
Robertson, A HARMONY OF THE GOSPELS.
Thomas & Gundry, A HARMONY OF THE GOSPELS.
Stein, THE SYNOPTIC PROBLEM.
Tuckett, REVIVAL OF THE GRIESBACH HYPOTHESIS.

Of this list, Stein's work is exactly the work I was looking for.
It is clear, logical, and well-organized. It also has the added
benefit of being a good introduction to form and redaction criticism.
It didn't quell every doubt I've had about the Two-Source Hypothesis,
but he lays a good foundation.

Stephen Carlson

--
Stephen Carlson     :  Poetry speaks of aspirations,  : ICL, Inc.
scc@reston.icl.com  :  and songs chant the words.     : 11490 Commerce Park Dr.