RE: NA27 apparatus perplexity

From: Dale M. Wheeler (dalemw@teleport.com)
Date: Tue Oct 10 1995 - 11:29:27 EDT

First of all, these two apparatus listings are the same in the NA26, which
is the only text I have at home. A check of NA25 might be instructive.

On Mark 8:13: 1241 & 1424 are indeed minuscules, which are acc. to the
Alands, important "M" mss, which are explicitly cited when they disagree
with "M", since they have been fully collated (see Intro).

About the entry, here's my guess: Option #1: Someone goofed up...

Option#2: The layout, as you point out, is indeed not documented anywhere
that I can find. These two mss, as well as the three versions which follow,
are within parentheses, separated by commas, and parentheses are used to
indicate minor variations in the reading of the mss enclosed. In this case
it is a reversal of EMBAS and PALIN (though I note, the app. is not very
clear on this point), within the total reading EMBAS PALIN EIS (TO) PLOION.
This means that the enclosed mss read PALIN EMBAS EIS (TO) PLOION. But there
is a variation within the variant, namely the inclusion/exclusion of the
article TO. Well, since NA has already used the parentheses to indicate
minor variation, they can't use it again (i.e., no parentheses within
parentheses). So they tagged the variant mss on at the end, separated by
commas to indicate that they read differently than the rest of the group.
That would then mean that 1241, etc., read the same as the preceding mss,
but without the TO; i.e., PALIN EMBAS EIS PLOION. If you look at Mark 7:8/9
app for the last variant in v 8, the dotted addition, you'll see a similar
situation: at the end of the first reading is a group of mss in parentheses
which starts with D followed by a comma and then other mss followed by a
colon and an explanation of the difference in the mss. The difference, if
this scenario is correct, only applies to the mss after the comma (though I
can't see what the difference would be !? [unless it is another typo]).

Which brings us back to Option #1, for which compare Mark 6:51 app., where
the second variant has the following D (W, f1, 28)...... What are those
commas doing in there ?? The format within parentheses is supposed to be
the same as it is outside parentheses.

Well, I hope that's been as totally confusing to you as it has been to me....

I'll see if I can do the same for the second problem later....

Dale M. Wheeler, Th.D.
Chair, Biblical Languages Dept Multnomah Bible College
8435 NE Glisan Street Portland, OR 97220
Voice: 503-251-6416 FAX:503-254-1268 E-Mail: dalemw@teleport.com