ROMANS 3:29-31

From: JClar100@aol.com
Date: Sun Oct 01 1995 - 23:16:58 EDT

1) Suggested translation --

     29) "Is God the God of the Jews only?"

     30) "Indeed there is one God who will justify circumcision by faith and
                         uncircumcision through faith."

     31) "Do we not render the law ineffective through faith? By no means.
 On the contrary, we establish the law."

2) v. 30,31 -- Is there any technical difference in the use of the
prepositions EK and DIA? What's the diference between "from" or "out of" and
"through?"

3) v. 30,31 -- Does PISTEWS translate into "human faith" or "God's
reliability?" Strictly from the word usage and meaning is there any way to
tell the difference? Does "faith" here indicate "God's trustiworthiness" to
justify...

4) v. 31 -- Is there any way from the Greek construction to determine
whether Paul means by NOMON the "law of Moses" or "moral law?" These are
two distinct possibilities. Which one is the more likely? Is it the the ten
commandments which are rendered ineffective or is it the "moral law" which is
nullified? Does moral law transcned the law of Moses and thus carry a higher
quality? Or neither?

5) Is there a better English word with which to translate DIAKAIWSEI instead
of "make righteous" or "justify?" These technical terms are like jargon to
so many people. What words would be better for communication to the
layperson?

Thanks,
JCLAR100@aol.com