Re: Romans 3:19-20

From: Paul Dixon - Ladd Hill Bible Church (pauld@iclnet93.iclnet.org)
Date: Fri Oct 06 1995 - 03:38:09 EDT

If you are saying the theos in Jn 1:1c is referring to the same person
identified as the theon is 1:1b, then this is Sabellianism, that is, that
the Logos is God the Father.

It seems you are considering only two possibilities - either definiteness
or indefiniteness. Have you considered that theos in 1:1c may be
qualitative? This seems to make good sense, for the first two clauses
bring out two qualities of the Logos: His eternality or preexistence, and
His distinct personhood or personality (from that ity. Also, the
contrast with 1:14 where His acquisition of humanity at a point in time
is set in contrast to His eternal deity.

Paul Dixon