Re: 1Cor. 14:14

From: Carl W. Conrad (cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu)
Date: Tue Oct 10 1995 - 08:52:47 EDT

At 11:13 PM 10/9/95, David Moore wrote:
        . . .
> A look at Paul's attitude toward the gifts as such bears this out.
>One can see this attitude in his congratulation of the Corinthians, "For
>in every way you have been enriched in him, in speech and knowledge of
>every kind - just as the testimony of Christ has been strengthened among
>you - so that you are not lacking in any spiritual gift as you wait for
>the revealing of our Lord Jesus Christ" (1C. 1:5-7). His teaching on the
>body of Christ in the context of chapters 12-14 is a strong argument for
>the operation of the spiritual gifts in concert and implies that Paul
>envisions a church in which the multiple gifts may all function in harmony
>for the good of the body as a whole (12:12-31). This interpretation is
>also borne out in 14:26 in non-metaphorical language.

I appreciate this response, David, and I grant that there must be different
ways of interpreting these texts. I think that styles of worship must have
been a significant point of difference even in the first century and before
the destruction of Jerusalem, and I think the broad spectrum of worship
practices in Christendom today can find a basis in the variety reflected in
the NT texts. I think we shall have to agree to disagree on the
interpretation of 1 Cor 12-14, however, and I don't see much point in
carrying further that discussion.

The only point I would like to make here, however, and I may be sticking my
neck way out, is that I believe the passage you've cited in the paragraph
above, 1 Cor 1:5-7, is one of the most ironic in the entire letter, and
particularly the statement in 1:7, hWSTE MH hUSTEREISQAI EN MHDENI
XARISMATI -- but also in 1:5 EN PANTI EPLOUTISQHTE EN AUTWi, EN PANTI LOGWi
KAI PASHi GNWSEI. It seems to me that he displays what he really thinks
about the spiritual accomplishments of the Corinthian congregation in
3:1-3: OUK HDUNHQHN LALHSAI hUMIN hWS PNEUMATIKOIS ALL' hWS SARKINOIS, hWS
NHPIOIS EN XRISTWi. GALA hUMAS EPOTISA, OU BRWMA: OUPW GAR EDNASQE, ALL
OUDE ETI NUN DUNASQE, ETI GAR SARKINOI ESTE ... Chapter 2 bashes their high
regard for rhetoric and wisdom, and he continues throughout the letter to
push AGAPH wherever the Corinthians seem to be promoting GNWSIS.

(314) 935-4018