Re: Question on Luke 2:7

From: David Moore (dvdmoore@dcfreenet.seflin.lib.fl.us)
Date: Mon Oct 16 1995 - 21:59:37 EDT

"Keith A. Clay" <keithc@ramlink.net> wrote:

>In luke 2:7, there is a phrase, "OUK NV AUTOIJ TOPOJ EV TW KATALUMATI".
>Does this mean that there was no room for them (specifically them, but
>plenty of room for anyone else) or the "no vancy" sign was on. D.B. Wallace
>in his Preliminary Draft ( May1994) of "An Exegetical Syntax Of The Greek
>New Testament", under the "Dative Case" ( pg 122 - "Dative of Possession")
>says that it can be translated, "There was no place for them in the inn", or
>"They had no place in the inn". It seems to me there is a difference here,
>is there?

        A passage that immediately comes to mind which has a similar
construction is Lk. 1:7. Speaking of Elizabeth and Zechariah, Luke
writes, KAI OUK HN AUTOIS TEKNON "But they had no child." I'm sure I've
come across at least one other instance of this construction in Luke, but
can't remember just where, now. Someone with a grammatical search program
could probably come up with some others.

David L. Moore Southeastern Spanish District
Miami, Florida of the Assemblies of God
dvdmoore@dcfreenet.seflin.lib.fl.us Department of Education