Pt 3: hypothetical sources

From: perry.stepp@chrysalis.org
Date: Tue Oct 17 1995 - 17:52:30 EDT

Re. basing arguments on hypothetical sources:

NI>> [...] I'd rather work with documents I *know* existed than build sand
NI>> castles on hypothetical foundations.

NI>3] Are you sure you mean this? By this criterion we can accept *no*
NI>arguments for *any* sources behind the Gospels. And I don't think anyone
NI>is going to seriously argue that.

  Perhaps I'm being a touch (but only a touch) polemical. Certainly
  sources, some written and some oral, lie behind the gospels. But any
  argument that relies on, say, supposed layers of redaction within
  hypothetical sources, etc.,

                [HOT OFF THE PRESSES! REDACTIONAL LAYERS DISCOVERED IN
                Q! AMAZE YOUR FRIENDS! PROVE THAT THOMAS IS A FIRST-
                CENTURY DOCUMENT! SEE WHAT THE EARLIEST CHRISTIAN
                COMMUNITIES WERE *REALLY* LIKE!],

                              is prohibitively speculative. It
  depends more on a fanciful Hegelian reconstruction of the history of
  early Christianity than a fair reading of the evidence.

  For instance, I very much appreciate the way R. Brown handles these
  questions in *Death of the Messiah*. He notes great degrees of
  similarity in the prayers of Jesus recorded in the gospels, or that Mk
  and Jn use a certain OT passage in very similar (but very different)
  ways, and suggests that these phenomena spring from layers of
  pre-gospel tradition. But he realizes that attempting to build
  arguments on these foundations is ludicrous.

PLS <sorry, continued *again*>

---
  SLMR 2.1a  A little government and a little luck are both necessary,
                but only a fool trusts either.