Re: Granville-Sharp Rule

From: BibAnsMan@aol.com
Date: Wed Oct 18 1995 - 08:55:29 EDT

I have a question.

Are there many exceptions to the Granville-Sharp rule in the New Testament
Greek? Dana and Mantey include this rule on p. 147 under The Special Uses of
the Article as follows:

(1) With Nouns Connected by KAI. The following rule by Granville Sharp of a
century back still proves to be true: "When the copulative KAI connects two
nouns of the same case, if the article HO or any of its cases precedes the
first of the said nouns or participles, and is not repeated before the second
noun or participle, the latter always relates to the same person that is
expressed or described by the first noun or participle; i.e., it denotes a
farther description of the first-named person."

Examples I have used in my classes are Titus 2:13; 2 Peter 1:1; 2:20. This
is often used to show Jesus to be God. It seems very clear in these passages
that this is the case. There are those who oppose it, however, because they
do not want to see Jesus as God. Someone once said that there are many
exceptions to the Granville Sharp rule in the N.T. I asked for an example
and he was not able to give one. He said he would E-Mail me a list but that
was months ago, and .... no list.

Jim McGuire
Professor of Greek at
Logos Bible Institute