Re: Response to BibAnsMan

From: BibAnsMan@aol.com
Date: Mon Oct 09 1995 - 21:32:43 EDT

In a message dated 95-10-09 20:26:17 EDT, Cal Redmond writes:

<<<<<<<<Jim McGuire's message of October 8, "Beginning Grammars," written as
response to Larry Chouinard, seemed to confuse a number of issues. Perhaps
it
will be possible to make the issues more explicit and then if we must,
acknowledge our points of disagreement.

        Concerning the use of extra-biblical material, Prof. McGuire seems to
assume that A. T. Robertson did not utilize extra-biblical material in
understanding the syntax of Koine Greek.>>>>>>>>>

It seems that I spend more time defending my previous responses than I do in
responding with first responses. I in no way implied that A.T. Robertson did
not use extra-biblical evidence! Of course he used them! But his first line
of defense was not to go to these documents, but rather the Bible for
context.

Furthermore, if you are a doctorate candidate you should well be aware of the
tendency today to denigrate A.T. Robertson's works because they are "too
conservative" in this regard. Many liberal theologians will find some other
speculative works more exciting.

Jim McGuire
Professor of Greek at
Logos Bible Institute