Ephesians 4:11ff

From: JOHN HAYDEN, JEWELL, IA (hayden@duke.iccc.cc.ia.us)
Date: Mon Oct 23 1995 - 12:42:35 EDT

>From: SMTP%"rbarnes@ucoc.dgsys.com" 20-OCT-1995 17:58:25.65
>To: B-GREEK@virginia.edu
>CC:
>Subj: Ephesians 4:11ff

>Before I ask my question, I just want to say that it has been a
>privilege to read the mail from this list for the last year and a
>half. It is refreshing to read the many faceted perspectives when
>discussing various biblical passages, and I hope that I too may
>reap the benefits of your input.

>My questions have to do with Ephesians 4:11ff:

>1. Do any of you know any specific resources that focus on the
>historical background to the way these five terms were understood
>in the First Century?
>
>2. Can "tous de poimenas kai didaskalous" be understood as two
>separate and distinct roles? Many have joined these two together
>(Pastor-teachers). I'm not so sure about this, because it seems
>that Luke may have understood didaskalos in Acts 13:1 as a distinct
>role from that of Elder in Acts 20 (that is if you see Pastor and
>Elder as the same role and function). What do ya'll think.

>Name: Robert D. Barnes

This does not directly address your questions, but I've thought some about
this passage. (Dan Wallace assigned this paragraph to me for NT Exegetical
Methods at GracIS hyphenated, then what we have is a series of only THREE
gift-men.

a series of THREE gift-men: interpreters, publishers, and manager-trainers.

What I find fascinating is the possibility that there is a parallelism at"
clauses in vv12-17, vv14-17 being a (is it possible?) reverse

interpreters...for the ordering...till unity...that knit together

publishers...for the work...till knowledge...that speak truth

manager-trainers...for development...till perfect...that no longer children

My problem is, partly, that I have no other examples of simple parallelism
juxtaposed with chiasborrow a Wallacism) "very gingerly."

John Hayden