Re: Phil 2:12-14/Gen 32:22-32

From: WINBROW@aol.com
Date: Tue Oct 24 1995 - 11:22:10 EDT

Carl Conrad wrote:
> [...]
literary, although I think that they are also theological. It may well be
that the parallels have been noticed before--I would suppose there's a good
deal of literature on the Philippians passage that I don't know of and
haven't explored; on the other hand the parallels may exist only in my
imagination. The shared themes I see are competitive struggle between human
being and God and the paradox of human striving and divine initiative.<<<<<

I am not prepared to comment on the Gen. passage at this time. I would agree
that there may be some literary parallels. The best commentary on Paul's use
of the terms of striving and apprehending is in I Cor. 9:24-27. From that
passage, I would submit that a part of the "prize" he is seeking to attain is
control of himself. KATALAMBANW may be used in the sense of overpower. In
verse he indicates that he is trying to get himself under control (hUPWPIAZW)
lest he become worthless (ADOKEMOS - unreliable, unproven). To that degree
the idea of testing is a part of the Jacob stories as well.
Carlton Winbery
Prof. NT & Greek
LA College, Pineville, LA