Re: Porter on the present

From: Kenneth Litwak (kenneth@sybase.com)
Date: Tue Oct 17 1995 - 22:59:40 EDT

> Ken Litwak questioned the value of Porter's seminal investigations
> into Greek aspect, especially of the "historical present" form, when
> the resulting translations appeared not to differ. In my opinion as a

Actually, maybe I did not express myself clearly enough. I'm not
challenging Porter. I'm having trouble understanding his point when he comes
out with the same translation that a "historical present" would, i.e.,
given the translation both use the English past, how would I explain to
someone else the difference in _meaning_, as opposed to wording, in such a
case? Thanks.

Ken Litwak