Re: Grammatical Tense, LEGW,

From: Philip L. Graber (pgraber@emory.edu)
Date: Wed Oct 25 1995 - 17:42:18 EDT

On Wed, 25 Oct 1995, Kenneth Litwak wrote:

> 2. Since Greek work order is not fixed in any significant way that I have
> seen (though my sample size may be too limited, as I've not ventured much
> outside the NT heretofore), I question Gundry's comments on the significance
> of word order. I would accept that in Hebrew SOV is an emphatic word order,
> but in Greek, that could be business as usual. Can we really draw significance
> in Greek from word order?

I am unconvinced by efforts to define a "normal" word order in Greek. I
am however very interested in the question of word order. I am inclined
to think that word order will prove to be significant for some functional
category, but that the significance will not be defined in terms of
deviation from "normal."

Philip Graber Graduate Division of Religion
Graduate Student in New Testament 211 Bishops Hall, Emory University
pgraber@emory.edu Atlanta, GA 30322 USA