Re: New Testament Hymns & Greek Hymns

From: Carl W. Conrad (cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu)
Date: Fri Oct 27 1995 - 15:35:08 EDT

At 12:44 PM 10/27/95, Calvin D. Redmond wrote:
>I'm doing some research involving the New Testament "hymns" (John 1:1-14, Col.
>1:15-20, Phil. 2, etc). I'm out of my area of limited knowledge and wonder if
>someone can help me with the following question: Where can I find some
>description of a "standard form" for classical or Koine hymns or poems? I have
>read most of the standard literature on the NT "hymns," which generally says
>the NT "hymns" are not really in Greek hymn form, but I haven't been able to
>define the form to try to reach any judgment on my own.

An "oldie but goodie" is a work by the major German scholar of the early
part of this century, Eduard Norden, _Agnostos Theos_ (1913). As I recall
(can't give the exact reference) there is an analysis of standard hymnic
structure in both classical and Hellenistic Greek prayer and hymn. Other
magnificent works by Norden: _Die Antike Kunstprosa_ and a commentary on
the sixth book of the Aeneid that's been re-issued in
I-don't-know-how-many-editions-most-recently because it touches on so many
issues that are ancillary to Vergil's poetry itself (like varieties of
ancient eschatology!).

(314) 935-4018