Re: Periphrastic Aorist

From: Edgar M. Krentz (emkrentz@mcs.com)
Date: Tue Oct 31 1995 - 11:19:26 EST

Jim McGuire Wrote

>Just to add my 2 cents worth, Biblical Greek also uses EXW in periphrastic
>constructions. Luke 14:18 includes an example of EXW in a periphrastic
>construction.

I think Luke 14:18 is *not* an example of EXW plus a participle as a
periphrastic. The Greek is EXW ANAGKHN EXELQWN IDEIN AUTON. In this
construction the object of the RXW is the infintive IDEIN; the participle
EXELQWN can be construed either as modifying the subject in EXW or as an
adverbial participle expressing attendant circumstance with the verb. The
presence of the infinitive makes it impossible as a periphrastic.

But then again, maybe someone will refute me on the basis of a different
parsing. :-)

Edgar Krentz, New Testament
Lutheran School of Theology at Chicago
Tel.: 312-256-0752; (H) 312-947-8105