RE: John 21:15-17

From: Patrick J. Brennan (brennanp@cts.com)
Date: Sat Nov 11 1995 - 18:49:38 EST

On Nov. 8th, 1995 Eric Vaughan wrote:

I was discussing this passage with someone a good while ago, and I'd like
to know what you think. Jesus asks Simon, "AGAPAS ME" But Simon answers,
"FILW SE" This happens twice and then Jesus finally asks the question
Simon had been answering, "FILEIS ME;" Is this a deliberate refusal to
answer Jesus' question on Simon's part (and why) or do you think that
John's recount of the story is not very careful and this difference has
little significance? I understand the symbolism of Simon's three
confessions of love after denying Christ three times, but why would he only
half answer Jesus' question? Is the difference John's fault or Simon's?

I also have the same question about "BOSKA/POIMAINE TA ARNIA/PROBATA MOU"

Eric Vaughan