Re: NT authorship

From: Edgar M. Krentz (emkrentz@mcs.com)
Date: Wed Nov 15 1995 - 00:08:16 EST

>>No general rule will do here. You have to consider each individual NT
>>writer on his of her own.
>
> Ed, are you just being inclusive, or do you have an interesting theory
>of a woman NT writer?
> I'm aware of the theory that one of the Penteteuch writers was possibly
>a woman, but I hadn't heard of one on NT female authorship.
> I'm not being picky, I'm...
>
> just curious,
>
> Tim Staker
> Timster132@aol.com

Tim, it's just the pure habit developed to use inclusive language in
teaching at a seminary where 50% of the students are women. I have no
theory about women authorship of any NT book--outside of telling students
of Adolf von Harnack's theory about Priscilla as the author of Hebrews.

What David Moore wrote is on target, though, like Origen, I hold that God
alone knows who wrote Hebrews.

I am not against such a theory on principle; but at present I know of no
serious reason to hold that a woman wrote any NT book.

Thanks for asking.

Edgar Krentz, New Testament
Lutheran School of Theology at Chicago
Tel.: 312-256-0752; (H) 312-947-8105