AGAPAW

From: Carlton Winbery (winberyc@popalex1.linknet.net)
Date: Sun Nov 26 1995 - 09:49:00 EST

 Paul Watkins wrote:

> What are the implications of the first aorist active indicative of
> AGAPAW as used in John 3:16? How does this function toward TON KOSMON?
>OMIT.
Carl Conrad wrote
omission
>As for 1 John 2:15, I don't think the sense of KOSMOS has quite the same
>sense there. In Jn 3:16 it is TON KOSMON, and the reference appears to be
>to "humanity" or "created humanity," as is often the case in John.
>However one also finds in John's gospel and elsewhere "this world,"
>hOUTOS hO KOSMOS, in the distinctive apocalyptic sense of hAUTH hH GENEA
>PONHRA KAI MOIXALIS, this world-age (OLAM HA-ZEH) as opposed to the
>world-age-to-come (OLAM HA-BA), humanity alienated from God and perverse.
>Finally, it is evident that 1 John 2:15 says nothing about whether God
>continues to love the world alienated from Him (Her?) as we suppose
>He/She does; it rather urges believers not to be enamored with the
>vanities of an evil age. To be sure the dualistic strain that runs
>through the gospel of John is present much more sharply in 1 John, and
>the dualism is much closer to the traditional apocalyptic dualism than
>what we most often find in the gospel. Nevertheless KOSMOS has in chapter
>17 of the gospel some of the same overtones as in 1 John 2:15.

With respect to what is signified by KOSMOS in the Gospel of John, 1:10 is
very interesting. He was in the TWi KOSMWi, and the hO KOSMOS was made
through him, and hO KOSMOS knew (aor.) him not. Obviously the word
signifies three different things in this one verse; humanity, creation, and
humanity apart from God.

Carlton Winbery
Prof. Religion
LA College,