Edward Hobbs' forwarding of News Release

From: Paul Wesley Hofreiter (paulhof@ix.netcom.com)
Date: Mon Nov 27 1995 - 16:51:50 EST

Dear Colleagues on the B-Greek List:
    My deepest appreciation to Edward Hobbs for the news release on the
CEV Bible. I teach courses in Bible and Christianity at The
Lawrenceville School and will bring this translation to the attention
of my students when entering the discussion of anti-Semitic issues.
    I would be most interested in hearing from those on this list as to
their views on this process of translation. We currently use the NRSV
in our courses.
    I am interested in a related matter. As a composer, I have
normally gone with either my own translations of scripture (with the
less difficult texts) or translations by others whom I know to be
sensitive to issues of nuance. What are preferences of those on this
list?
    Thank you for your time.

    Paul Wesley Hofreiter
    Depts. of Religion and Music