Re: Bible study software? (fwd)

From: Nichael Lynn Cramer (nichael@sover.net)
Date: Fri Dec 01 1995 - 12:14:51 EST

At 10:18 AM 30/11/95, Stephen Carlson wrote:
> [...]
>In the OLB version I have, Strong's # are only available in the English
>(KJV) module, not the Greek module, and are of course keyed to the
>Textus Receptus instead of the NA26/UBS3. Thus, they are not useful for
>serious Greek work.
>
>> Yes, OLB does not have diacriticals, punctuation, etc. However, the
>> manuscripts of the NT don't have those either. At least OLB has spaces
>> between the words. :)
>Lack of diacriticals, punctuation, and case also simplify the searching,
>which I suppose is the real reason.

Not really; there's no reason such marks couldn't be included in the text
and made transparent to the search-engine. (Or more generally, the
search-sensitivity to such characters should be a user-settable parameter.)

In any case, 'EN and `EN (to pick a single example) are quite different
words and it would be nice to able to differentiate between the two.

>> It is true, though that you can't replace your trusty Nestle-Aland with one
>> of these programs. That wasn't the question, however.
>This point deserves reiteration.

Quite right. The original point was that many of the packages --especially
the shareware/freeware packages-- while useful for Bible Study are probably
less useful for, say, textual work. Given the nature of this list this
seemed a reasonable point to make.

Nichael "... and they opened their thesaurus
nichael@sover.net and brought forth gold,
http://www.sover.net/~nichael and frankincense and myrrh."