Re: Re: 1 Tim. 2:15--"get safely through"

From: Stephen Carlson (scc@reston.icl.com)
Date: Fri Dec 01 1995 - 14:16:21 EST

Timster132@aol.com wrote:
> In a message dated 95-11-26 Will Wagers writes:
> >In this vein, can anyone point to any evidence for there being two paths to
> >salvation - one for males and one for females in the NT?
>
> Not NT, but in 2 Clement there is that strange notion of the female having
> to become male in order to have salvation. It's not a literal passage, but
> some kind of allegory. I think it is referring to females needing to become
> celibate in order to be saved-- the opposite of Paul's advice.

2 Clement 12:
        2 For when the Lord himself was asked by someone when his
        kingdom will come, he said: "When the two shall be one,
        and the outside as the inside, and the male with the female,
        neither male nor female."

In v5, it is explained as Christians will not think of each other in
terms of sex; perhaps, celibacy is meant by that. This is very similar
to GThom 22:4-5, and to a quotation from the Gospel of the Egyptians in
Clement of Alex., Strom. iii,13. Also related is GThom 114:3 "For every
female who makes herself male will enter the kingdom of Heaven" and
GMary 5:8 "for he has joined us together and made us true human beings."

These sayings are reminiscent of both Gal 3:28 ("There is neither . . .
male nor female . . . in Christ Jesus") and Gen 2:24 ("the two shall
become one flesh"; see also Mt19:5-6 Mk10:7-9 1Co6:16 Ep5:31). Of
course, neither of these passages imply a separate salvation path for
men and women.

Stephen Carlson

--
Stephen Carlson     :  Poetry speaks of aspirations,  : ICL, Inc.
scc@reston.icl.com  :  and songs chant the words.     : 11490 Commerce Park Dr.