katargeo and pauo

From: DR. KEN PULLIAM (thedoc@aztec.asu.edu)
Date: Fri Dec 01 1995 - 19:29:48 EST

I am doing a study on katargeo and pauo in 1 Cor. 13:8. katargeo
is in the passive voice here and pauo is in the middle. I notice
that katargeo never occurs in the middle in the NT and pauo never
occurs in the passive. I do not have access right now to other
Greek literature. Could someone tell me if katargeo ever occurs
in the middle voice and if pauo ever occurs in the passive?

Also BAGD indicates that pauo in the middle and katargeo in the passive
are synonyms. Would anyone comment on this? Do you believe they are
synonymous in 1 Cor. 13:8? Is Paul simply using stylistic variation here
or does he intend a distinction?

Please send your replies to my email address below as I am not
currently subscribed to b-greek. Thanks

--
Ken R. Pulliam, Ph.D.
Chandler, Arizona