Re: Tense in non-indicative moods

From: Carl W. Conrad (cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu)
Date: Fri Dec 01 1995 - 15:34:32 EST

At 8:08 PM 11/30/95, Kenneth Litwak wrote:
> Porter in his Idioms book makes the case that tense is irrelevant
>to the meaning of the non-indicative moods. Present negated imperatives
>do not mean "Stop doing x" and aorist negated imperatives don't mean
>"don't do x". They have no clear distinction that I can tell from
>what I've read so far. This both trashes everything I learned about
>the non-indicative moods and much that I have read in commentaries,
>leaving me wondering if I understand Greek at all if he's right and
>wondering what to make of tenses and moods since he seems to be
>reducing them all into one pot of "verbs" with no meaningful
>distinctions that I can see in understanding them, execept
>whether something is complete or not. Is this understanding of the
>non-indicative moods generally accepted by modern grammarians and if so,
>what of all the works that revolve around such distinctions? Does that
>mean that there aren't any rules left for distingushing tenses or moods
>in verbs, such that futures and pluperfects are the same? I'm not
>trying to use hyperbole. Poerter argued against any tense having any
>time relation, so that leaves one wondering what good six tenses
>are.

I guess I'm going to have to READ Porter rather than read what people claim
about his book. But it's going to take a hard sell to get me to believe
that tense doesn't make any difference in the 3rd person imperatives of Mk
8:34:

        EI TIS QELEI OPISW MOU AKOLOUQEIN, APARNHSASQW hEAUTON KAI ARATW TON
        STAURON AUTOU KAI AKOLOUQEITW MOI.

I have always believed that the aorist imperatives are to be understood as
referring to a single critical and decisive choice, the present imperative
to an action to begin now and to continue. Would Porter argue otherwise?

(314) 935-4018