Re: Women, etc. (long)

From: Mike Adams (mikadams@ix.netcom.com)
Date: Wed Dec 06 1995 - 18:18:54 EST

Bill Mounce wrote:

>I would submit that no one, neither Conrad or me or anyone, is able to
>"assess work based entirely on content." No one is free from
>presuppositional and theological conclusions and biases. No one.

You are quite right! But there is a difference between presupposition and
prejudice; I still attest that I've seen no prejudice in him.

>>appointed 12 MEN (and no women) as apostles. But when he further
commissioned
>>the 70, there is no clear indication whether women were numbered among
them.
>>They could well have been. After all, a considerable number of women were
>>included in his entourage, and in Acts 2, women were among those filled
with
>>the spirit and who the first proclaimed the gospel on the Day of
Pentecost.

>In fact, your assumption "they could well have been" is a good example of
>biases in action.

I really pained over that one. What did the women do at this time? What are
the alternatives? Jesus sent the women packing until that time was over? He
sent the men away, while all the women stayed alone with him? My conclusion
was just as reasonable.

>Whether they are true or not is not my issue, but rather
>that biases are at work.

That is what makes b-greek such an interesting forum. One would assume that
overall the participants are knowledgeable, and while acquiring all that
knowledge, we have also established our presuppositions. These often
differ. In such a forum, we are able to teach, learn, and test our
understanding. As long as we maintain a unity of the spirit, we can work to
build one another up until (hopefully) we attain a unity of the faith and
knowledge of our Lord.

>You can compare Krogers work (I Suffer not a Woman) with Knights initial
>essay. The new book from Baker on 1 Tim 2 has a hugh discussion of it.

And oh, don't I wish I had freer access to such materials! With kids in
college, I can't afford many books. And I only occasionally steal a few
moments in the Seminary library to study there.

>I really don't think that using emotionally charged and incorrect language
>like "chauvanist" is helpful or correct.

Good point. I must learn to word things more discretely.
Thanks for your input.

Xaris,

Ellen

By the way, you teach Greek, presumably to students of both genders. Just
out of curiousity, how do you counsel women involved in Biblical studies
concerning their options in ministry?