Re: FREE 1 jr Magazine etc etc

From: Allan Lyons (lyons@dlcwest.com)
Date: Wed Dec 06 1995 - 10:50:52 EST

On 5 Dec 95 at 22:34, rrilea wrote:

> Eric wrote:
>
> >Re: repeated offers at B-Greek of cheap US magazines (VERY long
> >messages)
> >
> >Is it perhaps a good idea to refuse from now on publication of this
> >kind of advertisement at B-Greek? Imho, it doesn't belong at a
> >scholarly discussion group like B_Greek.
>
> I strongly agree with Eric. I am tired of receiving these
> advertisements that do not pertain to anything that is being
> discussed hear. Is there any way that they can be stopped.

If this was SPAM that was sent through the list then someone
spending a large number of hours acting as moderator might help.
HOWEVER, if you examine the message headers very closely, you will
see that they do not look like regular B-Greek messages. Note for
example the "long" TO: field (it is not addressed to b-greek!) and
the odd reply-to field. Personally, I'm getting tired of these
repeated adds which I think all come from the same source even though
they are supposedly from different people in different countries.

This is not just a problem on b-greek. Once I received virtually
this same SPAM with the return-path set to the owner of a mailing
list that I didn't even know existed.

Allan
lyons@dlcwest.com